Organization: Southern Vision Alliance
Position: Finance Associate
Entry Level Position
Hours/week: 30-35hr/week, non-exempt
Prior Experience Requirement: at least 2 years prior experience
Duration of Contract: Pending 90 day review, option to sign 1-3 year contract
Application Deadline: July 15, 2020 (open until filled)
Start Date: Projected for July 30, 2020
Compensation: Salary starting at $32,000-$40,000 commensurate with experience. SVA uses an equity pay scale to determine compensation.
Benefits: generous package (employer pays 75% of premium BCBSNC healthcare plan + dental)
The Southern Vision Alliance is looking for an experienced, detail-oriented, responsive, and patient person with a background in bookkeeping and grants tracking/management, to join our team in support of the Finance and Operations Department. This person must have a demonstrated commitment to SVA’s mission, vision, and values.
The Finance Associate will help SVA with programs, funds, fiscally sponsored projects and internal departments in regards to tracking grants, reconciliations, A/R, A/P, data entry, managing budgets and generating donation reports.
Desirable experiences and skills include:
General understanding of accounting, with experience in tasks related to nonprofit finance and the ability to play a supportive role to a diverse group of people. Experience with accounting software such as Expensify and Quickbooks, and database management systems such as Powerbase is a plus. Task-oriented with good communication skills, including timely email responsiveness. Spanish fluency is a plus.
- Manage grants tracking system, including digital and paper filing of proposals, reports, and contracts; forwarding notifications; and issuing reporting reminders to stakeholders.
- Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable tasks
- Assist the Accounts Manager with monthly reconciliations, receipts, and other bookkeeping tasks.
- Regular communication as liaison with staff, funders, and fiscally sponsored projects.
- Support fiscally sponsored projects, funds, and programs to manage and track their revenue and expenses
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Training or background in bookkeeping, data entry and general accounting principles.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good attitude and team-oriented.
- Ability to meet deadlines and remain self-motivated.
- Attention to detail and willingness to patiently work with partners.
- In office during work hours.
- Quick to pick up new software and systems.
- Nimble and responsive to changing needs in a fast-paced work environment.
- Interest in training others in nonprofit fiscal compliance
- Customer service oriented
WHAT IS THE SOUTHERN VISION ALLIANCE?
Southern Vision Alliance (SVA) is a values-based “grassroots intermediary” organized to provide infrastructure, capacity building, coaching, and technical assistance to groups and projects led by youth and directly impacted communities.
SVA supports emergent grassroots groups and efforts organizing for social, racial, economic, gender, and environmental justice in the U.S. South. We build movement infrastructure, mobilize resources, and incubate collaborative solidarity.
SVA is headquartered in Durham, NC, and supports a diverse cohort of fiscally sponsored projects groups and funds across North Carolina.
Submit the following to email@example.com:
- Subject line: “SVA Operations & Finance Specialist application for <YOUR NAME>”
- In the body of the email include:
- a cover letter describing your interest in the position
- relevant experience
- three references, including someone who can describe your Spanish-language competency, if applicable (name, phone, email, relationship to you)
- a short bio of yourself
- the best way to contact you
- Attach a copy of your resume
- Position open until filled. Please apply by July 15, 2020.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
SVA is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discriminatory employment actions and treatment against employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, and/or past incarceration.