Chief Financial Officer
Organization: Southern Vision Alliance
Position: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Hours/week: 40 hours per week
Worker Classification: Full-time, non-exempt, at-will, regular employee
Application deadline: February 5, 2024
Desired Start Date: February 26, 2024
Compensation Range: $97,000 – $115,000
Manager: Associate Director
Benefits: Includes generous health, dental, vision insurance, health reimbursement account, dependent care reimbursement account, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, 401k retirement plan with a 3% employer match, professional development funds, and more.
Location: A hybrid of work from home and occasionally in the Durham, NC office
Reporting to the associate director, the chief financial officer (CFO) will define the process and implement the infrastructure and systems needed to support substantial growth over the next five to 10 years. The CFO will continue to build and manage effective and streamlined administrative financial, accounting, and legal systems. The CFO will lead all day-to-day operations of the finance department, including budget development and analysis, accounting for investments, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, relationship management with banks and other vendors, and audit preparation.
The CFO will be involved in strategic planning, evaluation, and professional development initiatives, as well as planning for SVA’s programmatic expansions. In keeping with Southern Vision Alliance’s values, the CFO will also provide technical support and training to SVA’s 40+ fiscally sponsored projects.
- General oversight of weekly and monthly financial tasks, including monitoring incoming deposits and reconciliation of bank statements.
- Management and approval of outgoing payments for operations, programs, and projects; oversight of expense cards and reports.
- Monitor mail weekly for incoming checks and finance-related correspondence.
- Monitor and deposit incoming checks, monitoring incoming ACH deposits, digital filing of check stubs, grant letters, and other accompanying documents, following data retention and destruction policies.
- Some support with Quickbooks management.
- Coordinate with contracted controller; manage one full-time finance coordinator and one full-time finance associate; hire and retain support staff as needed in the future.
- Manage all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements. Maintain internal control safeguards.
- Oversee budgeting and the implementation of budgets to monitor progress and present financial metrics both internally and externally.
- Collaborate with members of the leadership team in drafting, reviewing, and verifying the accuracy of annual budgets by department.
- Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs.
- Optimize the handling of banking relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash positions.
- Review and approve monthly and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for Southern Vision Alliance’s board of directors.
- Coordinate all audit activities.
Administrative Leadership and Management
- Provide strategic support on the organization’s financial, budgeting, and administrative processes—including HR, payroll, and benefits functions—with an eye to continuously developing and improving systems.
Fiscally Sponsored Projects
- Develop successful and trusting relationships with the fiscally sponsored projects and create and sustain an environment at Southern Vision Alliance that supports these relationships.
- Develop reporting processes and provide monthly financial reports to fiscally sponsored projects.
- Provide technical training and assistance to fiscally sponsored projects as needed.
The CFO will have at least five to eight years of professional experience, including managing the finance and administration of a high-growth organization (preference given to nonprofit experience). The CFO will have experience creating and driving the analytic framework for planning and managing organizational change in a highly entrepreneurial organization.
The CFO will have the following experience and attributes:
- Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multidisciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting, ideally in the nonprofit sector
- Experience should include legal, audit, compliance, budget, and resource development
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems
- Proven effectiveness leading professionals in finance and accounting
- Technologically savvy, with an ability to point to examples of having worked to develop and implement new processes and systems that increased efficiency in a fast-moving environment
- Experience with Excel, Microsoft Office
- Experience with accounting software including Expensify, Quickbooks, and Bill.com a plus
- Direct and concise communication skills; an active listener; ability to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
- Flexible and a self-starter; able to multitask while also being highly detail-oriented
- Able to travel to Durham, NC office at least once per week and additionally as needed
- Clear and demonstrated commitment to SVA’s core values of social justice, racial justice, and collective liberation
Please apply using this Idealist link: https://ideali.st/GkY9J8/.
- Please attach the following:
- a cover letter, and
- three references, including a recent supervisor and colleague (name, phone, email, and describe their relationship to you).
- Please attach the following:
Southern Vision Alliance (SVA) is a values-based “grassroots intermediary” organized to provide infrastructure, capacity building, coaching, and technical assistance to groups and projects led by youth and directly impacted communities.
SVA supports emergent grassroots groups and efforts organizing for social, racial, economic, gender, and environmental justice in the U.S. South. We build movement infrastructure, mobilize resources, and incubate collaborative solidarity.
SVA is headquartered in Durham, NC, and supports a diverse cohort of fiscally sponsored projects, groups, and funds across North Carolina.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
SVA is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discriminatory employment actions and treatment against employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, and/or past incarceration.