Development and Finance Associate
Organization: Southern Vision Alliance
Position: Development and Finance Associate
Hours/week: Full time, salaried staff
Category: Exempt employee, associate level
Desired Start Date: June 1, 2022
Compensation: $40-48K, depending on experience, with 90 day review, plus competitive benefits package
Application deadline: Position open until filled.
The Southern Vision Alliance (SVA) is looking for a detail-oriented person to support the development and finance departments. This person must have a demonstrated commitment to SVA’s mission, vision, and values.
Desirable experiences and skills
- Experience with databases, Microsoft Office basics, managing multiple calendars, great people skills, filing and organization, writing and editing, ability to work solo and on teams, an understanding of organizational development and strategic planning concepts, and/or an ability to pick things up and learn quickly.
- General understanding of accounting, with experience in tasks related to nonprofit finance and the ability to play a supportive role to a diverse group of people. Experience with accounting software such as Expensify, Quickbooks, Bill.com, and database management systems such as Powerbase is a plus. Task-oriented with good communication skills, customer service skills, including timely email responsiveness. Spanish fluency is a plus.
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Experience with databases
- Ability to multitask in a busy environment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and remain self-motivated
- Willingness to collaborate with others team members, program officers, funders, and the board of directors
- Training or background in bookkeeping, data entry and general accounting principles
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Good attitude and team-oriented
- Attention to detail and willingness to patiently work with partners
- Available during typical business hours in EST.
- Quick to pick up new software and systems
- Nimble and responsive to changing needs in a fast-paced work environment
- Customer service oriented
- Supervised by the Development Director and Finance Director and reporting to the development and finance teams of the staff and board
- Collaborate with staff to complete responsibilities.
- Assist SVA’s general operating fundraising activities/development plan and support the Executive Team as requested
- Write, edit, and submit grant applications and reports for SVA programs, frontline funds, and fiscally sponsored projects
- Support SVA program directors in the creation and planning of fundraising plans
- Support SVA program directors in application/report planning, and edit and submit all applications and reports
- Create fundraising pitches for SVA and assist program directors with program fundraising pitches/cases for support
- Lead on select SVA special projects development tasks (grant seeking, writing, reporting)
- Research and prospect new potential revenue sources and foundation relationships for SVA, SVA programs, and SPs
- Assist SVA program directors in supporting Sponsored Projects’ development related tasks
- Gather supporting documents for Fiscally Sponsored Project grant applications
- Seek out & share grant opportunities with sponsored project and SVA program directors
- Meet with sponsored projects for consultations as requested
- Participate in sponsored project orientations
- Support administrative tasks related to development
- Track deadlines for grant applications and report due dates, notify SPP leads and program directors when applicable
- Manage all grant and donation tracking
- Schedule and arrange the logistics for exec’ meetings with donors or foundation contacts and provide support in funder meetings
- Schedule weekly development team meetings
- Send communications to funders as needed
- Update funder data in PowerBase
- Suggest improvements or modifications for standard operating procedures related to foundations and donor relations
- Schedule quarterly Program Officer (PO) reports planning process as requested
- Edit PO reports as requested
- Support the finances in relation to Sponsored Projects, funds, departments, and programs
- Routine filing of financial statements
- Creating transaction logs
- Accounts receivable and accounts payable tasks
- Coordinating purchasing
- Monthly reconciliations, receipts, and other bookkeeping tasks
- Regular communication with and support of staff, funders, and sponsored projects
- Updating fund balance trackers
- Send out out monthly fund balance reports
- Support Spanish-Speaking sponsored projects’ leads
- Supportive tasks as assigned by Finance Team and leadership
- Regular administrative tasks such as staff meetings, timekeeping, and general organization
- Other duties as assigned
Submit the following to email@example.com:
- Subject line: “SVA Development and Finance Associate application for <YOUR NAME>”
- Please attach the following:
- a cover letter, and
- three references, including a recent supervisor and colleague (name, phone, email, relationship to you)
About Southern Vision Alliance
Southern Vision Alliance (SVA) is a justice centered values-based “grassroots intermediary” organized to provide incubation, infrastructure, capacity building, coaching, and technical assistance to frontline organizing projects, leadership programs, and collaborations led by directly-impacted communities in the US South. We are an anchor for frontline groups and leaders to disrupt and transform power for collective liberation.
SVA is headquartered in Durham, NC and supports a diverse cohort of fiscally sponsored projects and funds across North Carolina.
- We hire people who will do excellent work for Southern Vision Alliance and its Sponsored Projects.
- We prioritize transparent, accountable hiring processes.
- We develop clear, replicable work systems that allow for new people to enter the work and for existing employees to evolve their roles and move into new positions.
- We proactively work to identify and cultivate potential candidates for open positions at SVA who are: North Carolinians, people of color, trans* or gender non-conforming, chronically ill and disabled, or others who may face obstacles to employment in the mainstream economy.
- We hire people who align with the mission and values of SVA.
- We hire people who have direct experiences with the problems we are working to address.
- We hire people who will contribute to a healthy, collaborative, fun, productive, always-evolving workplace culture.
SVA is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities to apply.
SVA is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discriminatory employment actions and treatment against employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, and/or past incarceration.