Organization: Southern Vision Alliance
Position: Finance Associate
Hours/week: 40 hours per week
Category: Non-exempt employee
Desired Start Date: March 15, 2024 with a 90-day review
Compensation: $52,000-$57,000 depending on experience
Benefits: Includes generous health, dental, vision insurance, health reimbursement account, dependent care reimbursement account, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, 401k retirement plan with a 3% employer match, professional development funds, generous paid time off, and more.
Application deadline: Position open until filled. Please apply by March 1, 2024.
Location: Must live in the Triangle or Triad of NC. Hybrid work from home and work from the Durham, NC office several days a week.
The Southern Vision Alliance is looking for an experienced, detail-oriented, responsive, and patient person with a background in bookkeeping to join our team in support of the finance and operations departments. This person must have a demonstrated commitment to SVA’s mission, vision, and values. While mostly remote, the position involves travel to our office in Durham, North Carolina at least once a week.
The Finance Associate will help SVA with reconciliations, A/R, A/P, data entry, managing budgets and generating donation reports in regard to programs, funds, fiscally sponsored projects and internal departments.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Clear and demonstrated commitment to SVA’s core values of social justice, racial justice, and collective liberation
- General understanding of accounting, with experience in tasks related to nonprofit finance
- Ability to play a supportive role to a diverse group of people
- Experience with accounting software such as Expensify, Quickbooks Online, and Bill.com
- Experience with database management systems such as Powerbase is a plus
- Strong customer service skills, including timely email responsiveness
- Spanish speaker is a plus
- Training or background in bookkeeping, data entry and general accounting principles
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Good attitude and team-oriented
- Ability to meet deadlines and remain self-motivated
- Attention to detail and willingness to patiently work with partners
- Available during typical business hours in EST
- Quick to pick up new software and systems
- Nimble and responsive to changing needs in a fast-paced work environment
- Support the financial management of SVA’s Sponsored Projects, funds, departments, and programs
- Routine filing of financial statements
- Creating transaction logs
- Accounts receivable and accounts payable tasks
- Coordinates purchasing
- Monthly reconciliations, receipts, and other bookkeeping tasks
- Regular communication with and support of staff, funders, and Sponsored Projects
- Updating fund balance trackers
- Sending out out monthly fund balance reports
- Supportive tasks as assigned by finance team and leadership
- Regular administrative tasks such as staff meetings and timekeeping
- Other duties as assigned
- Supervised by SVA Associate Director LeiLani Dowell (she/her)
- Reports to supervisor and accountable to finance team
- Collaborates with staff to complete responsibilities
Submit the following via Idealist here: https://ideali.st/IbnN9T
- Please attach the following
- a cover letter, and
- three references, including a recent supervisor and colleague (name, phone, email, relationship to you).
About Southern Vision Alliance
Southern Vision Alliance (SVA) is a justice-centered, values-based “grassroots intermediary” organized to provide incubation, infrastructure, capacity building, coaching, and technical assistance to frontline organizing projects, leadership programs, and collaborations led by directly-impacted communities in the US South. We are an anchor for frontline groups and leaders to disrupt and transform power for collective liberation.
SVA is headquartered in Durham, NC and supports a diverse cohort of fiscally sponsored projects and funds across North Carolina.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
SVA is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discriminatory employment actions and treatment against employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, and/or past incarceration.