Organization: Southern Vision Alliance
Position: Finance Associate
Hours/week: 30 hours per week
Category: Non-exempt employee
Duration of Contract: May 7 – December 31, 2021 with 90-day review
Desired Start Date: May 7, 2021
Compensation: $27,000 – $31,500 depending on experience
Benefits: Includes a generous package of health, dental, and vision insurance with SVA paying 75% of premiums.
Application deadline: Position open until filled. Please apply by May 7, 2021.
The Southern Vision Alliance is looking for an experienced, detail-oriented, responsive, and patient person with a background in bookkeeping to join our team in support of the finance and operations departments. This person must have a demonstrated commitment to SVA’s mission, vision, and values.
The Finance Associate will help SVA with reconciliations, A/R, A/P, data entry, managing budgets and generating donation reports in regard to programs, funds, fiscally sponsored projects and internal departments.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Clear and demonstrated commitment to SVA’s core values of social justice, racial justice, and collective liberation
- General understanding of accounting, with experience in tasks related to nonprofit finance
- Ability to play a supportive role to a diverse group of people
- Experience with accounting software such as Expensify, Quickbooks, Bill.com
- Experience with database management systems such as Powerbase is a plus
- Strong customer service skills, including timely email responsiveness
- Spanish speaker is a plus
- Training or background in bookkeeping, data entry and general accounting principles
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Good attitude and team-oriented
- Ability to meet deadlines and remain self-motivated
- Attention to detail and willingness to patiently work with partners
- Available during typical business hours in EST
- Quick to pick up new software and systems
- Nimble and responsive to changing needs in a fast-paced work environment
- Support the financial management of SVA’s Sponsored Projects, funds, departments, and programs
- Routine filing of financial statements
- Creating transaction logs
- Accounts receivable and accounts payable tasks
- Coordinates purchasing
- Monthly reconciliations, receipts, and other bookkeeping tasks
- Regular communication with and support of staff, funders, and Sponsored Projects
- Updating fund balance trackers
- Sending out out monthly fund balance reports
- Supporting Spanish-Speaking Sponsored Projects’ leads
- Supportive tasks as assigned by finance team and leadership
- Regular administrative tasks such as staff meetings and timekeeping
- Other duties as assigned
- Supervised by SVA Finance Director LeiLani Dowell
- Reporting to supervisor and accountable to finance team
- Collaborating with staff to complete responsibilities
Submit the following to email@example.com:
- Email with subject line: “SVA Finance Associate application for <YOUR NAME>”
- Please attach the following:
- a cover letter, and
- three references, including a recent supervisor and colleague (name, phone, email, relationship to you).
About Southern Vision Alliance
Southern Vision Alliance (SVA) is a justice-centered, values-based “grassroots intermediary” organized to provide incubation, infrastructure, capacity building, coaching, and technical assistance to frontline organizing projects, leadership programs, and collaborations led by directly-impacted communities in the US South. We are an anchor for frontline groups and leaders to disrupt and transform power for collective liberation.
SVA is headquartered in Durham, NC and supports a diverse cohort of fiscally sponsored projects groups and funds across North Carolina.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
SVA is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discriminatory employment actions and treatment against employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, and/or past incarceration.