Media & Communications Specialists
Organization: Southern Vision Alliance
Positions: Media & Communications Specialists
Part-time Contract work based on deliverables
Duration of Contract: Through November 2020, with opportunities for advancements, contract increases, or to join staff in the future
Application Deadline: Will be open until filled
The Southern Vision Alliance is looking Media and Communications specialists to work with our community partners to help them develop strong narrative based communications and media plans to advance their organizing strategies.
Seeking story-tellers, social media and earned media promoters, and content creators to support SVA’s community-based partners in advancing their goals for social, racial, gender, economic, and environmental justice in the US South. Seeking creative, responsive, culturally sensitive, and thoughtful people to advance communication strategies, storytelling, and digital organizing plans to support SVA’s fiscally sponsored projects, funds, and programs. Must have a demonstrated commitment to SVA’s mission, vision, and values.
Communications Specialists will help SVA partners develop their communication strategies, tell the stories and uplift work of fiscally sponsored projects, funds, and programs, and help our partners swing the pendulum toward justice through both digital and traditional media engagement.
Desired Start Date: Week of June 15, 2020
Compensation & Number of hours/week: Contracts based on deliverables, billing negotiated on this basis.
Category: Contract worker
Desirable experiences and skills include: General understanding of media and social justice movement landscape; understanding of social media platforms, engagement, and digital campaigns. Responsive, task-oriented, with experience in leading communications efforts for issue based campaigns, base building, and mass organizing. Project management experience and ability to support a diverse group of people/leaders. Ability to travel.
- Regular communication with staff, funds, and fiscally sponsored projects.
- Maintaining positive relationships with digital and traditional media institutions to leverage SVA partners missions and visions
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Portfolio of previous work required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good attitude and team oriented.
- Ability to meet deadlines and remain self motivated.
- Attention to details and willingness to patiently work with partners.
- Ability to be nimble and responsive to changing needs in a fast-paced work environment.
- Conversational Spanish would be a plus
WHAT IS THE SOUTHERN VISION ALLIANCE
Southern Vision Alliance (SVA) is a values-based “grassroots intermediary” organized to provide infrastructure, capacity building, coaching, and technical assistance to groups and projects led by youth and directly-impacted communities.
SVA supports emergent grassroots groups and efforts organizing for social, racial, economic, gender, and environmental justice in the U.S. South. We build movement infrastructure, mobilize resources, and incubate collaborative solidarity.
SVA is headquartered in Durham, NC and supports a diverse cohort of fiscally sponsored projects groups and funds across North Carolina.
Submit the following to email@example.com:
- Subject line: “SVA Media Specialist application for <YOUR NAME>”
- In the body of the email include:
- a cover letter describing your interest in the position,
- any relevant experiences,
- three references, including someone who can describe your spanish-language competency if applicable (Name, Phone, Email, Relationship to you)
- a short bio of yourself
- Include the best way to contact you
- Attach a copy of your resume and portfolio of prior media and communications work
- Position open until filled. Please apply by July 1, 2020.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
SVA is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discriminatory employment actions and treatment against employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, and/or past incarceration.