Leadership Development Opportunity with Southern Vision Alliance
Organization: Southern Vision Alliance
Position: Operations Fellow
Hours/week: 5-10 hrs/week (up to 40 hours a month)
Duration of Contract: February 2020 – June 30, 2020 (4 months)
Application Deadline: Will be open until filled
The Southern Vision Alliance (SVA) is looking for a detail-oriented and enthusiastic young person to help support operations work over the spring and/or summer semester, with opportunity to extend. This is a great entry-level fellowship for students that are interested in gaining experience in operations and non-profit management.
This person must have a demonstrated commitment to SVA’s mission, vision, and values.
The Operations Fellow will get exposure to how things work inside non-profit organizations and will help with a little bit of everything behind the scenes. Specifically will help SVA with facilities management, event planning, donation and grants tracking, and communicating with partners.
Desired Start Date: Week of February 24, 2020
Number of hours/week: Candidate must be willing to work 5-10 hours/week (up to 30 hours/month) in SVA’s Durham-based office each week.
Category: Non-Exempt employee
Desirable experiences and skills (but not required): experience with databases, graphic design, wordpress based websites, filing and organization, writing and editing, ability to work solo and on teams, an understanding of organizational development and strategic planning concepts, and/or an ability to pick things up and learn quickly. Bilingual English/Spanish a plus, to be able to translate documents and emails.
- Work under the direction of the Director of Organizational Culture and Operations to support the operations and back-end management of the organization.
- Help produce outreach materials (brochures, pamphlets, infographics, etc.)
- Help SVA members develop petitions, emails, etc. using our CRM (constituent relationship manager), PowerBase
- Collaborate with staff to complete responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Ability to multitask in a busy office environment
- Strong written communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and remain self motivated
- Willingness to collaborate with other fellows, member organizations and staff
- Experience with databases, wordpress, google docs, dropbox, and adobe creative suite a plus
WHAT IS THE SOUTHERN VISION ALLIANCE
Southern Vision Alliance (SVA) is a values-based “grassroots intermediary” organized to provide infrastructure, capacity building, coaching, and technical assistance to groups and projects led by youth and directly-impacted communities.
SVA supports emergent grassroots groups and efforts organizing for social, racial, economic, gender, and environmental justice in the U.S. South. We build movement infrastructure, mobilize resources, and incubate collaborative solidarity.
SVA is headquartered in Durham, NC and supports a diverse cohort of fiscally sponsored projects groups and funds across North Carolina.
Submit the following to email@example.com:
- Subject line: “SVA Operations Fellow application for <YOUR NAME>”
- In the body of the email include:
- a cover letter describing your interest in the position,
- any relevant experiences,
- three references, including someone who can describe your spanish-language competency if applicable (Name, Phone, Email, Relationship to you)
- a short bio of yourself
- Include the best way to contact you
- Attach a copy of your resume
- Position open until filled. Please apply by January 15, 2020.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
SVA is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discriminatory employment actions and treatment against employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, and/or past incarceration.