SVA Communications Director
Organization: Southern Vision Alliance Communications Director
Hours/week: 35-40hrs/week, exempt full-time
Prior Experience Requirement: at least 4 years prior experience in communications and fundraising
Duration of Contract: Pending 90 day review, option to sign 1-3 year contract
Application Deadline: Will be open until filled
Compensation: Salaried: $51,000-$65,000 for FT, commensurate with experience. SVA uses an equity pay scale to determine compensation.
Benefits: generous package (employer pays 75% of premium healthcare plan with BCBSNC + dental)
The Southern Vision Alliance is seeking a Communications and Development Director to help SVA develop its front facing communications strategies and to work with contracted media specialists that will support our community partners, grantees, and fiscally sponsored member groups in developing strong narrative based communications and media strategies and media products to advance their organizing strategies.
Seeking creative, responsive, culturally sensitive, and thoughtful people to advance communication strategies, storytelling, and digital organizing plans to support SVA’s fiscally sponsored projects, funds, and programs. Must have a demonstrated commitment to SVA’s mission, vision, and values.
Desirable experiences and skills include: General understanding of media and social justice movement landscape; understanding of social media platforms, engagement, and digital campaigns. Responsive, task-oriented, with experience in leading communications efforts for issue based campaigns, base building, and mass organizing. Project management experience and ability to support a diverse group of people/leaders. Ability to travel.
- Develop and curate SVA’s front facing brand through website, materials, social media, and with funders and sector partners
- Help elevate thought leadership in the nonprofit sector from SVA’s community leaders and directly impacted community partners
- Supervise web and database coordinators and contract media makers
- Curate internal communications with fiscally sponsored projects and grantees
- Work with the Executive Directors on Development strategies and narrative grant writing and reporting.
- Maintaining positive relationships with digital and traditional media institutions to leverage SVA partners missions and visions
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Samples of previous communications and/or fundraising work
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good attitude and team oriented.
- Ability to meet deadlines and remain self motivated.
- Attention to details and willingness to patiently work with partners.
- Ability to be nimble and responsive to changing needs in a fast-paced work environment.
- Conversational Spanish would be a plus
WHAT IS THE SOUTHERN VISION ALLIANCE
Southern Vision Alliance (SVA) is a values-based “grassroots intermediary” organized to provide infrastructure, capacity building, coaching, and technical assistance to groups and projects led by youth and directly-impacted communities.
SVA supports emergent grassroots groups and efforts organizing for social, racial, economic, gender, and environmental justice in the U.S. South. We build movement infrastructure, mobilize resources, and incubate collaborative solidarity.
SVA is headquartered in Durham, NC and supports a diverse cohort of fiscally sponsored projects groups and funds across North Carolina.
Submit the following to email@example.com:
- Subject line: “SVA Communications Director application for <YOUR NAME>”
- In the body of the email include:
- a cover letter describing your interest in the position,
- any relevant experiences,
- three references (Name, Phone, Email, Relationship to you)
- a short bio of yourself
- Include the best way to contact you
- Attach a copy of your resume and work samples
- Position open until filled. Please apply by January 15, 2020.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
SVA is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discriminatory employment actions and treatment against employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, and/or past incarceration.